Monday, August 20, 2012

Fear of the unknown

Pixar gets me straight in the heart every. single. time. So as you may have guessed, I just came back from seeing Brave. Granted it wasn't the most original Pixar movie that they have such a reputation for producing, but with the curly red hair....how could I not like it? I suppose you can say I was attracted to this young woman's ability to trust her decisions and had the confidence to know who she is. According to Erkison's theory of development (Yes, PSY 432, I was actually listening) I'm dealing with identity issues! This whole graduating and becoming a real person? Getting a big kid job? I feel like college only taught me how to remember my SSN! Ugh, clearly this movie has sent me into a spiral of identity confusion....must be around here somewhere....

The fear of the unknown. Being afraid of new ideas. They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on...if something is new, I reject it immediately because it's frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar. You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for that statement, but seriously couldn't have said it better myself. I could have stayed home this summer, but instead I moved to Alaska. I had no idea what to expect when I came here, I only knew Maya. I moved 2,000 miles away from the familiar to be apart of the unknown. I only have 4 weeks left here and I'm not and will not take this opportunity for granted. Only I would take a Pixar movie to another level, I know, but this post-college thing is a lot harder than expected. I am proud of my accomplishment, I went to three colleges, went to summer school while having pneumonia, and still managed to graduate in a four year period. I embrace change, I enjoy change, I crave change. I wouldn't be sitting here in Alaska if it wasn't for change. 

If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?


Fishing License!

Petersburg Creek

Why hello pink salmon

I think he's mad, look at that eye 

Stoked for my catch!

So excited!!

Fishing further up the creek

Sexy ladies, as always

No comments:

Post a Comment