Monday, September 10, 2012

How Dr. Seuss helped me make life decisions

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”

Lately I've been using the "I'm young" excuse to just about anyone I talk to about moving to Portland. It's an excuse I've never used, but one I am very accustomed to at the moment. I know I am young, but with graduating college...I feel the pressure to suddenly become a "mature adult". I grew up faster than most, so it's mine time to be young. It's my time to not plan. It's my time. And Portland is something that can provide me that flexibility. Oh the places you'll go! As some of you may know, I have been collecting Dr. Seuss's series for a few years now and still have yet to get the full set. The reason is simple. Dr. Seuss helps me makes life decisions.

Silly you say? Naive you may think? Outrageous says the nonbeliever....well, you have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. Dr. Seuss has many books that seem child-like because of his rhythmic and tongue twister characteristics, but nobody really takes the time to really see what Dr. Seuss has to offer. Call me crazy or going overboard....but at least I make good decisions.

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut

If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good!

You are you. Now, it's that pleasant?

Step with care and great tact. And remember life's a big balancing act.

I think you get my point...but Dr. Seuss has helped me out. Laugh at my child-like enthusiasm, but everyone has someone to help guide them. For some it's God, for some it's their parents, others it's their peers. We all have our inspirations and this happens to be mine. And it's a good thing he is because you are looking at the new teacher at a child care facility in downtown Portland! I'll be starting at the end of this month and I am looking forward to my new adventure with miss Maya Holmes...my comrade, my partner in crime...my best friend. This is my last week in Alaska and I know I will be back, so goodbyes are out of the question. But I will sure miss this place.


You're on you're own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...

Maya help

Rainbow to wake up to!
Yes....I think I'm ready for you Bay Area

Nothing like it

No comments:

Post a Comment